[DMCForum] Why Coil Packs RULE!

Mechanical distributors don't use coils??

If anything, the coil pack will last longer because
the load is distributed across multiple coils.

Expensive to replace?  Sure, if you ever need to!

And yes, they do depend on on board electronics..  but
I see that as an advantage.

My 1990 SHO just passed 200,000 miles.  Still got the
coil packs it left the factory with...  Too bad this
was an early design where they still used ignition
wires, so I have to change them every so often. :(

My 1966 Mustang needs new cap, and rotor every 2
years.  True, easy to change.. but as they wear out it
has an impact on the performance and fuel economy of
the car..  The coil packs are consistent.

--- content22207 <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Coil packs suck because:
> - They do not last as long as mechanical
> distributors
> - They are very expensive to replace
> - They are totally dependent on other onboard
> electronics
>
> Are fine for disposable automobiles, but if you're
<SNIP>