[DMCForum] Re: Yet more ignition analysis:

[DMCForum] Re: Yet more ignition analysis:

I forgot to mention:

Ed Garbade sent me a whamo-dyne email detailing a similar problem. He
installed DMCH's ingition kit and still had issues. Apparently even a
tiny amount of water in a plug well may cause this and the boot keeps
it trapped. You guys have all suggested this before and I gaffed you
off. I (unfortunately) store my car outside, it has been raining off
and on. I will use paper towels and my air compressor to triple-check
all wells clean and dry.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> For all my testing, I haven't figure out much...I can only say what
> think the problem -isn't-. It is NOT:
>
> 1. coil
> 2. dist cap
> 3. rotor
> 4. ballast resistor
> 5. ignition ECU
> 6. pulse coil (90% sure)
>
> What I do know is that if you press the pedal past a certain point,
> the acceleration curve "snaps" flat, and the engine makes a bogging
> sound. If you let up on the pedal, the sound "snaps" off and you
have
> smooth, if somewhat shallow acceleration.
>
> I am now not ruling out the spark plug wires even though they are
> mostly new. I have not ohm'd them out to see what resistance they
> offer, so they are suspect.
>
> So let's discuss: What happens when you depress the accelerator
pedal
> 1/2-2/3 of it's total travel?
>
> 1. Timing advances a certain number of degrees (or should).
> 2. When cold, the CPR delievers a fuel spike.
> 3. The metering plunger in the fuel dist. delivers more fuel.
> 4. The pulse coil is spinning faster, delievering faster, more
> powerful pulses to the ignition ECU.
> 5. The ECU is converting these pulses to coil control signals.
> 6. The coil is outputting pulses to the distributor.
> 7. Pulses travel to individual plugs via the rotor.
> 8. Voltage is being fed to the coil primary windings.
> 9. More air is being drawn into the engine. (I have a clean, K&N
> filter installed)
>
> What else happens? Inputs welcome.
>
> Rich A.

click here