Re: [DMCForum] Re: Keeping It Original (Rich and Martin)

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Keeping It Original (Rich and Martin)

Bill, if you were to build a car tomorrow, would you do any better?

> - Trailing arm attachment

There's a reason they did it that way! The way the trailing arm moves
means it has to be in single shear.

> - Door lock, cooling fan, and headlight circuits

All  work perfectly al right, if the components were better. And at that
time, there wasn't a lot of choice. There's nothing really wrong with
the design per se.

> - Crumple extension (whole sheet metal frame for that matter)

What, the fact that it crumples? This is a GOOD THING.

> - 14" spare tire well

????

> - Hard plastic hydraulic and vacuum lines

...... as opposed to......? The clutch line is a problem - everything
else is perfectly okay. It can be improved, but there's nothing wrong
with it.

> - Wheel speedometer interface rather than traditional transmission
> interface

Common to cars of the era. My Renault 30 tranny has a speedo interface -
but it's at the wrong end of the car, Bill - the cable would be rather
long......

> - Rivnuts

How many fireglass cars have you worked on?

> - Constantly illuminated A/C panel

A lot of cars do this - the BX's was alway lit then dimmed when you
turned the lights on. Mk2 BX circal 1986.

> - Glued headliners

?!?!?! A lot of cars have this - that's why there's a lot of trim places
who sell headliner material!

> - Plastic channel radiator with downhill bleed line

In my experience the plastic is only a problem if you are too agrssive
when working on it. The bleed line is a boob, yes.

> - Front fascia attachment

How would you do it, Bill?

> - C pillar trim panel and armrest extension

Corrected in production to a fully molded one.

I'd love to see the car you'd design, Bill

Martin

click here