[DMCForum] Re: stupid driving lesson question

[DMCForum] Re: stupid driving lesson question

Brian,

You make an interesting statement. You definitely drive yours harder
than I do, but I wouldn't call it abuse. If your car is in good
repair then I don't see anything wrong with it. Of course you'll be
getting lower mileage. I know it sounds crazy, but burn a few tanks
of 87 octane and see what happens.

A question for you: (This may sound stupid) How would you rate the
DeLorean in performance performance compared to your Porsche? You
seem to indicate that it was an older model, not built within the
last 5 years. Is the DeLorean really that feeble, or are we jaded in
our expectations because of present-day technology?

My feeling on the car's performance is that it's adequate. The A/C
definitely drags it down, but when it's off I feel I
have "comparable" acceleration to other normal street cars, and I've
had up to 110 mph. Most people who want to race me could probably out-
last me, but they usually lose their nerve and give up once I pass
100 mph. I wouldn't want to race a top-end BMW or Mercedes or
anything...but you get the point.

Rich A.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "bkp944" <bk_pollard@xxxx> wrote:
> Odd, Greg and I were having a similar conversation about how to
> drive the DeLorean just the other day.
>
> I tend to drive the DeLorean like I drove my old Porsche 944. I
> usually shift between 4K and 5K RPMs (if traffic allows). Of
course,
> this can only been done in the lower gears. I rarely go over 75
MPH,
> but I tend to get there quickly. I do not consider this driving
> style abuse and I think the PRV can handle this - any comments?
>

> !! *Warning Bill R. and Martin - Skip over this paragraph* !! I
> think the PRV has a fair amount of torque, power, whatever in the
> 3K - 4K RPM range and driving as I do gives me the best sports car
> feeling possible in my stock PRV DeLorean.
>

> My driving style probably explains why I get 18 MPG instead of the
> 25 MPG others report. What gas mileage does everyone get? I run 89
> octane gas, what does everyone else run?
>
> Brian
> VIN#4494
>

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Brian" <TK581@xxxx> wrote:
> > All right - here's somehting for all of you to either laugh at or
> > argue over.  I've been driving around my DeLorean for several
> months
> > now off and on and I admittingly don't think I have the hang of
it
> > totally.  I drive other 5 speed manuals just fine but it feels
> like
> > everytime I drive the ol' DMC my style either changes or the car
> > does. Hmmmm...  so my question is at what RPM do you change gears
> at
> > (besides ngine sound and feel of course) and at what RPM do you
> > cruise at most of the time in regular city driving.  I know this
> > sounds like a question from a 15 year old but I just want to get
> the
> > most out of my drving experience.
> >
> > thanks a bunch!! - Brian #11280

click here