[DMCForum] Re: Clutch maintenance ATTN: Walt

[DMCForum] Re: Clutch maintenance ATTN: Walt

PhD? I'm only relating what I've read in the manuals, plus personal
experience, plus a little rumor-mill syndication from names such as
Dave Titlebaum and Martin G. :) I trust them.

I accidentally put in a non-synthetic fluid and then I developed slow
leaks. Plus the parts were OEM. 23 years old. I agree that maybe newer
cylinder guts may tolerate non-synthetic fluids. I'm not confident
enought to experiment with it though.

I too, only resorted to the Valvoline when I couldn't find Castrol. I
read on the DML that it was an acceptable substitute. Not wanting to
mix fluid brands, I'm running Valvoline in the clutch hydraulics and
Castrol in the brakes. It just worked out that way. 5 months later and
no leaks.

PS- You said you don't want the A/C parts money by PayPal because you
dont' want to pay the fees. How shall I get it to you? Email me offline.

Cheers,

Rich A.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> Wow Rich, when did you get a PhD in transmissions? :-)
>
> About the brake fluid, I have heard that some of the rebuild
> kit manufactures are using materials that are not harmed by
> DOT 3.  And I have seen people use DOT 3 without harm.
> (Most likely these were systems that were rebuilt with
> tougher materials.)
>
> HOWEVER, if you care about the car then use DOT 4, and
> specifically use Castrol GTLMA.  This is supposedly
> vegetable oil based and is better than DOT 4's that aren't.
> Yet I hear other stories that there are only a few
> manufactures who bottle brake fluids under all sorts of
> names, so you never really know what you're getting.
>
> Rich, how did you come to like Vavoline Syntec Pro?  I've
> bought it before only because I couldn't find Castrol, and
> it looked like the highest quality/highest price fluid out
> there.  I haven't seen any problems with it.  And I've heard
> other DeLorean people using it too.
>
> Walt

click here