[DMCForum] Re: Clutch maintenance (warning, DeLorean related)

[DMCForum] Re: Clutch maintenance (warning, DeLorean related)

Thanks for all of the info.

>> Do you find yourself really pulling the stick hard to one side or the
>> other to get into 1st/2nd or 5th?

Nope. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

You know, I wonder if the metallic sound I hear simply has to do with
the clutch not fully disengaging. It could be very slightly rubbing. I
bet replacing the line with Hervey's stainless line would solve this.

>> A: Most people don't down-shift into first.

I should clarify: I don't down-shift into first and then let the
clutch out before I come to a stop. But often, as I'm rolling to a
stop in neutral, I'll depress the clutch pedal and shift into first
before I come to a complete stop, in preparation to take off again.
This is very difficult to do most of the time.

The behavior also is thus: Say I'm coming to a stop and I'm in any
gear other than first. I push the clutch in, put the car in neutral,
and leave the clutch depressed. I sit at the light for some random
amount of time and try to shift into first. It's usually impossible to
do so. If I let the clutch out while in neutral, come to a complete
stop, then push it back in, I can get into first no problem.

Now, as to how I should proceed:

1. Start with Hervey's new clutch line, a new throw-out bearing, and a
complete flush of the system.

2. Or, should I just replace the clutch disk and pressure plate while
I'm at it? Do I have to tear into them to replace the TOB? If so,
might as well do it all at once. OR, can I replace the TOB without
disturbing the others?

How difficult is it to replace the clutch on this car? Is it something
I could do over a weekend? I don't have to pull the engine, do I?
(some rear engined cars really suck for this type of work)

Thanks everyone,

-Ryan

click here