[DMCForum] Clutch maintenance (warning, DeLorean related)

[DMCForum] Clutch maintenance (warning, DeLorean related)

I know this is off topic, but:  ;)

I've got some clutch issues. I've never worked on a manual
transmission before, so keep that in mind when answering questions. If
you tell me to "adjust the clutch fork" I'll need to know what it
looks like, where it is, and how to adjust it. ;)

1. Whining noise coming from rear. Only when car is in gear, and
clutch is disengaged. Pitch varies with speed. Completely goes away
above ~38mph. Does it in all gears.

2. "Metallic sound affected by changing in engine speed with the
clutch pedal fully depressed." I've got this. This was explained in a
D1 ad, Winter 2003 issue of DW magazine. Says, "Possible diagnosis:
Rubbing on the diaphragm fingers in the area of contact with the
clutch release bearing. Possible cause: Incorrect adjustment or damage
to the crossgate cable." Can anyone tell me what a crossgate cable is
and how to fix it?

3. I don't think the clutch releases fully. It shifts a little hard.
>From first to second at higher than 4k rpm usually grinds the gears.
Shifting down into first while rolling, clutch fully engaged, is
especially difficult - almost impossible. Sometimes double-clutching
helps. Any thoughts?

Lastly, if someone can give me a rundown of the clutch system and
anything else I might want to check, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to go
through the entire system sometime next weekend and repair these
little gremlins.

Oh, yeah: The previous owner put DOT 3 fluid in the clutch system. Is
this OK? I thought I read somewhere that only DOT 4 should be used. Do
I need to flush & refill, and if so, how do I do this? I've bled
brakes before so any comparisons will be understood.

Thank you,

-Ryan

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
I'm a