[DMCForum] IRR and "brave" Iraqi soldiers...

[DMCForum] IRR and "brave" Iraqi soldiers...

<SNIP>I remember hearing someone of the Iraqi army, or whatever,
saying the Americans were too chicken to get close enough so they
could be fired upon.
Chicken?  Not hardly... but the US military can take that guy out
from miles away and he will never even have a clue as to what hit
him.<SNIP>

This was a laugh.  While on duty we were told by the prisoners that
we were scared.  I asked why.  They said because Iraqi soldiers will
come right up to you to kill you when Americans will shoot from a
few hundred meters or even miles away.  I leaned forward from my
guard tower (9mm on my thigh) and SAW on the counter and said if
you're so brave...come on up.  700 prisoners to 6 soldiers.  Oh
yeah, we had weapons so we were the chickens.  Atleast they amused
us so we weren't bored out of our minds for all 12 hours of our
shifts.

As for the IRR, that is voluntary.  Just like the military.  It is
the soldiers responsibility to stay in shape and healthy as long as
they are in the IRR and Reserves.  Sure, many don't, and that's why
the IRR may not last much longer.  They're getting deployed just as
much as us Reservists right now anyways.  What's the difference?
They don't train once a month and 2 weeks each summer like
us "hardcore (ha ha ha, part time)" guys.

As for C-130's, they still pack an awesome punch though.  Watching
those things take off and climb at about a 70% angle is just nuts.
Now I know why they made us strap down EVERYTHING went we flew with
them.

I know the reason that we were told that we were there, but that
wasn't my job, although it was present in mind.  My job was prisoner
operations and humanitarian.  Nobody escaped or was abused on my
watch and I got nothing but "Thank you Mistah" everytime we had a
mission.  I avoided the politics and just did my job.  Less stress
that way and nobody could say anything about me.  AND I came home
with no holes. :)