[DMCForum] Reply #2: Intel on Iraq. Where do you get it, really? (Greg)

[DMCForum] Reply #2: Intel on Iraq. Where do you get it, really? (Greg)

Well of course our military is the only one dropping laser guided
munitions. That's not the point.

The point is: these soldiers (sailors/airmen) have been placed into a
extremely chaotic situation (which leads to accidents like shooting
unarmed demonstrators), are inadequately supported (we're depending on
Iraqi's themselves for intelligence and translation, which leads to
blowing up every house EXCEPT the one Al Sadr, or whoever the "card"
of the week happens to be, is hiding in), do not have proper equipment
(wives at Bragg have been holding fund raisers to buy their husbands
the body armor Uncle George forgot to send them to Iraq with), etc.
This whole adventure has been a botched job from the very beginning.

So who do you fault? Members of the military themselves, or their
elected leadership? I choose the latter. Have you noticed more and
more senior military commanders are doing the same...

As I said -- the days of spitting on vets are over.

Don't blame me if you missed George the Younger's recent activation of
the Individual Ready Reserve. These guys (and gals) haven't worn a
uniform in years. They don't do PT or any other sort of ongoing
training. Many are in their 30's and 40's. They are truly less
prepared to go to Iraq than National Guard members. Yet the
administration has already called 6,000 to go to Iraq. With a pool of
100,000 to draw from, no telling how many more will get called if it's
re-elected.

Re: the B-2 -- oh please. That's wasted money if I ever saw it. Who
was responsible for dreaming up an airplane that can't get wet! What
forms the backbone of the Strategic Bomber Command? The venerable
B-52, which coincidentally celebrates its 50th birthday next month
(don't give me any crap about driving old cars!). Kind of like the
ancient C-141's and C-130's that still form the backbone of the
Strategic Airlift Command. Navy SEALs are still launching their rafts
from CH-47's. Air Force is still refuelling from KC-135's. Notice a
pattern here? Congressmen desperate to route jobs to their respective
states buy the military a lot of expensive new crap that simply
doesn't work. Thank God they kept the old stuff.

Re: Bin Laden -- he's in Afghanistan (or at least he was before George
the Younger got distracted by Iraq). Actually disliked Sadam Hussein's
feigned religiousness intensely and chose not to work with the man or
his regime. Iran's Mullahs, however, were another story. Woke up this
morning to read that the September 11 highjackers passed through Iran
on their way to the US. Al Qaeda has training camps in Iran too. It's
beginning to look like the administration sent troops to invade the
wrong country...

Bill Robertson