[DMCForum] Re: Continued Series 038 CPR Versus Series 066 CPR

[DMCForum] Re: Continued Series 038 CPR Versus Series 066 CPR

Series 038 CPR takes *MUCH* longer to warm up than Series 066,
somewhere in the neighborhood of 160 degrees versus little over 100.
Allows you to run rich more than 50% longer.

Re: fuel starvation -- I'm talking about 1% CO2, not final control
pressure (is the same between two CPR's BTW). That's why 066 series
needs greater enrichment at vacuum drop: fuel mixture is too lean to
begin with.

The crime Lambda and 066 CPR are partners in is US Government mandates.
Both appeared at same time (1979-80). Previous F Series imports (B27F)
were non-Lambda with CPR's virtually identical to Series 038. I never
meant to imply the CPR and frequency valve work together (duh).

I disagree with your contention that a lean burn extends engine life.
Lean mixtures burn much hotter than rich ones. Increase overall engine
temp dramatically. Considering our little engines are not only made
almost exclusively of aluminum, but are basically glued together (more
gaskets than a traditional block, and whose idea were all the silly O
rings), this is not good.

Point of order: "backfires" occur through the intake (ever see flames
shoot out of a carburetor?). I think you're talking about exhaust
explosions/muffler farts/tailpipe pops/etc, which usually aren't a
problem once you get rid of catalytic converters (ever felt how much
cooler the exhaust stream is from a non-converter equipped engine?).

Is our tractor pull still scheduled for Pigeon Forge? If my PRV carb
conversion isn't ready in time I'm going in one of the Lincolns...

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx> wrote:
>
> > Were you trying this with Lambda active? Can't do that. Series 066 CPR
> > and the frequency valve are evil partners in crime. Simply unplug it
> > (don't worry about capping off lower fuel distributor chambers), swap
> > CPR's, adjust CO2, and you'll be cool.
>
> Nope. Although you're right that the 066 is meant for a lambda equipped
> engine, they're not "partners in crime". The 066 and 038 warm up stats
> are similar. It's the accelleration enrichment that differs massively,
> for the simple reason that the DeLorean engine backfires like a good un
> when cold unless you richen it up quite considerably. The metering
heads
>   put out different fuelling curves, regardless of the primary pressure
> regulator. The DeLorean metering head is actually designed to flow more
> fuel at top end for example.
>
> > Series 066 full throttle enrichment is higher only because later F
> > series operate in a perpetually fuel starved state. Notice pre-Lambda
> > imports don't do that.
>
> So you realise then that the 066 vacuum enrichment is plumbed up to
only
> do something when the engine's cold on a DeLorean? Perpetually fuel
> starved state? Do you even KNOW what the lambda system does? OK, it's
> possible, with the right timing, to put a little more fuel in and get
> more power out, but it's definitely not correct to suggest it's
> perpetually starved. The lambda system actually controls the mixture to
> keep the fuel-air ratio spot on for best economy and emissions. It's
> condusive to a longer lasting engine too. Oil leaks notwithstanding....
>
> Martin

click here