[DMCForum] FYI....

I wasn't going to post this...I'm not much into self-humiliation but
I was told I should share my recent experience with the group in the
event that it might help someone in the future so...

Here's a newsflash: Don't beat on a cast aluminum part with a hammer.
Especially exerting force in a direction OTHER than the axis the part
was cast to have its main strength in.

I'll elaborate:

I was changing my other rear wheel bearing. As before, the lower link
arm bolt rusted/fused to the link arm bushing collar. No PB Blaster
or impact gun would free it. I cut the bolt with a saws-all, just
like in the previous bearing replacement. No surprises there. The
bolt remnants in the carrier "ears" were also corroded to the
carrier. One remnant came out with a few taps. The other piece was
badly corroded and the carrier broke from excessive force on the
wrong axis trying to pound the fragment out.

The good news is, I finally found the bearing that was failing. When
I spin it, it doesn't have any play or wobble yet, but it's dry as a
bone and it sounds like it has gravel in it. Especially compared to
the new bearing.

All I have to say is, Josh Haldeman is an awesome guy and I highly
recommend him if you're in a bind.

Rich A.

click here