Re: [DMCForum] New owner seeking parts & advice

Re: [DMCForum] New owner seeking parts & advice

Do your cooling fans turn on when the fan fail light come on and then
do the fans turn off when the fan fail light goes off, if this happens
you might have one of www.specialtauto.com fan fail fix.... see the web
link i sent
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/modifications.html

Mark V

On Sunday, May 2, 2004, at 12:18  PM, ryanpwright wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> My DeLorean is back home! '81 #5447. Made the 15+ hour drive from
> Sacramento with no problems. Well, except for the existing problems,
> which I now need to fix. If anyone can give me advice on one or more
> of these issues, I would greatly appreciate it. On some of these I've
> already found a lot of articles and am pouring through them, but
> additional advice or links to articles would be greatly appreciated.
>
> 1. The "fan fail" light comes on when the temp approaches 220. Car
> hasn't gone above 220 yet even when sitting in McDonalds drive through
> for 15 minutes but I still want to fix this right away.
>
> 2. The A/C doesn't blow cold air. I think the compressor is coming on
> - not 100% positive. The air does begin blowing pretty good once I
> flip it to max, it's just not cold. May just need a recharge. Any
> advice in troubleshooting this would be great. At the least I'd like
> to make sure everything is working well, so when I take it in for a
> recharge they can check for leaks & charge it and I can be on my way.
> I certainly don't want Joe's Random Garage running troubleshooting on
> this car.
>
> 3. No heater. Doesn't work at all. Somewhat lower priority right now.
>
> 4. I've got the "clutch fluid leaking under the carpet on the driver's
> side" problem. Previous owner did say he had to top it off every few
> months so I think it's a minor leak. I remember reading an article
> about this and will have to go dig it up. Any advice? Also advice on
> getting the carpet up without harming it (does it just pull up?) would
> be great.
>
> 5. The car has a hot start problem of some sort. It seems very minor;
> if I work the gas pedal a bit I can get her going. Sometimes I have to
> hold the gas all the way in. I've always been able to get it started
> with a few tries, but it's annoying and embarassing. When she does
> start, the engine sometimes takes a bit to really get going. I don't
> know how to explain it other than it seems like the RPMs are
> abnormally low, and it shakes the whole car. Old cars used to do
> something similar to this after you turned them off (they didn't want
> to shut down all the way). So it's like that, only it happens right
> when I start it if the engine is hot. When cold she fires right up
> without a problem.
>
> 6. There's a fuel problem. When the tank gets below ~1/2 and I make a
> right turn, she loses power instantly. The effect is similar to when
> someone first learns to drive a clutch and lets it out with low RPMs.
> The engine doesn't die but it pulls hard, then releases, then pulls
> hard, then releases. Only happens for a second then once I get
> straightened out things are fine. If I take the turn very, very
> slowly, it won't do it. If the tank is above 1/2 it never does it.
>

> Now for the minor stuff:
>
> 7. The two plungers that detect if the driver's door is closed are
> [...]
Come see all of my Photo's at my Website's
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime
http://groups.msn.com/DMCPhotos/shoebox.msnw
http://www.exoticrides.com/galleries/showgallery.php?ppuser=57