Re: [DMCForum] Aluminum VS Copper Evaporator

Re: [DMCForum] Aluminum VS Copper Evaporator

> Why do you say Aluminum is better than copper?

I showed my copper evaporator to the guy who was making
aluminum reproductions for DMCH, and he explained the
following:  It's basically made of lengths of copper tubing
running parallel through thin sheets of aluminum (fins) with
180 degree elbows connecting it all together at the ends.
That's the old-fashioned way when those kinds of things were
assembled by hand.  It's still a good way if you need to
make one from scratch.  This is the cheapest option for
someone with an old unusual car that needs a new evaporator.
The problem with it is that the physical shape limitations
stop you from packing as many coils in the same space as the
OEM aluminum design allows.  This restriction alone causes a
3 degree F drop in efficiency.  And the fact that it's made
of copper gives it another 7 degree drop.  For me, 10
degrees less cold is too warm for my DeLorean in Florida.

> Copper takes longer to get rid of
heat, but will absorb heat faster.

If this were true Samuel, then copper in a
constant-temperature environment would continue to build a
heat gradient until it turned to plasma.  I've never noticed
that happening with copper before.

Walt