Re: [DMCForum] Legend cars

See below.

--- Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It's a fascinating subject - especially in the light
> of our own desire
> to hook up a Renault Alpine A610 turbo engine into a
> DeLorean one day
> Unfortunately those engines are pretty tough to come
> by! They are single
> turbocharged and require an effective intercooler to
> work, and herein
> lies the problem that I believe they worked hard on
> at Legend and never
> really got right. I did get chatting on e-mail to a
> Legend guy way back
> in my early DeLorean years and was told as such.

According to Fred, the Legend engines worked fine.
Considering the use 502 has seen over the years, I
think this is a example of how well designed the
Legend engines were.  The real problem was the cost.

> I'm curious - is the legend engine still odd-firing?
> The Renault lumps
> are all even fire and have to counterract the
> problem which caused the
> PRV to be made odd-firing in the first place - a
> nasty vibration. The
> Renault lumps have a second sprocket drive from the
> camshaft which has
> an eccentric weight on it to produce "anti-wobble".
> So either the legend
> engines have this, or are still odd-firing which is
> a no-no according to
> my PRV guy in a turbo application.

Best I can tell, my Legend engine is still Odd fire.
It was over 2 yrs ago since I was in there, but the
distributor cap is the same as stock DeLorean.

> I have a friend (who you probably met in Memphis)
> who owns the only
> Island setup in the UK (well, for about another
> month - we heard today
> that another one is on its way). He got it as a
> non-runner and I think
> the engine was abandoned mid-surgery during the
> turbo upgrade. I'm
> fairly convinced the dizzy is still a stock DeLo
> setup and the engine
> works "best" at 10 degrees at idle and 5lbs of
> boost. However, I've been
> talking at great length to the company that rebuilds
> all our K-Jet
> system components and will be working with them to
> produce a control
> pressure regulator that enriches progressively with
> boost enabling that
> horrible mickey-mouse affair with the hobbs switches
> to be removed. I'll
> also get shot of the lambda system at the same time.
> The only remaining
> issue is the timing. As an Island kit owner, do you
> know what's changed
> in the distributor? I heard a while ago that it's
> simply the secondary
> bob-weight is pinned preventing it from moving (?).
> There's the J&S
> spark controller too but that's a bit of a bodge - a
> knock sensor should
> be a safety feature not something to be relied on to
> control the timing.
> My friend has been trying to get hold of one for a
> while.

My island engine came converted from the previous
owner.  I was told that the distributor was
"re-curved".  I am sure Rob Grady can give you
details.  I am no longer running this engine, and may
be selling it soon.

> Not going to Pidgeon forge now :-( But see you in
> Eurofest 2006?

What the heck!?  Why not?