Re: [DMCForum] Brakes...

> I believe we spent about 2
> hours just bleeding the brakes and gave up. No leaks, just
a massive
> amount of air in the system.

It couldn't have been that long, could it?  Previously we
replaced the master cylinder.  Yesterday we replaced the
calipers & flexible brake lines.  We ran a big bottle of
brake fluid through it and still didn't have all the air
out.  It seems very wasteful of fluid at $5 bottle for
Castrol GTLMA.  I think that pressure bleeding and/or
gravity bleeding is the way to go.  Repetitive pumping &
cracking only seems to break the bubbles up & hold them in
suspension.

The pads that came off were really messed up!  It's like
they had ulcerated in the middle, puffed up & cracked.  The
resulting uneven high spots glazed the rotors.  The rotors
had once been covered in rust which was mostly worn off by
recent use.  All of the rotors are glazed -- some worse than
others.  I think it would be a good idea to have all the
rotors turned.  I sanded the worst one by hand, but that
took about an hour.  That's where the day went, and it was
only one rotor!  To make them all even & remove the glaze,
they need to be machined.

I think Samuel's intermittent horn was from a floating
ground.  With the dash apart, he had all the grounds that
connect to the radio bracket all loose.  What should be
expected from that?  Everyone tell Samuel how important
solid grounds are. :-)

Walt