Re: [DMCForum] a/c hoses Re: Fridge Run..

Re: [DMCForum] a/c hoses Re: Fridge Run..

> I have the early 81 with the hose that goes on the bottom
of the dryer....

Hi Mike!  Haven't heard from you in a while.  To do an early
system the right way, it should be upgraded to be the
equivalent of a later system.  This involves changes two of
the hoses.

The hose which goes on the bottom of the accumulator is made
a little longer and given a 90 degree fitting (in stead of
the original 45 degree) so that it can fit the later style
accumulator.  The advantage with this is that later style
accumulators are cheaper (fit an 84 Corvette) and puts less
stress on the fittings.  Obviously the factory made this
switch because it lessened the chance of anyone kinking a
line.

The high pressure hose gets an additional pop-off valve and
a high-pressure safety cut-off switch.  This is basically to
stop the system from exploding in the event that the
compressor stays on too long or the orifice clogs up.

I have only tried upgrading an early system once before by
having a port added for a high pressure cut-off switch.
When I got it home, I realized that I had them add the wrong
kind of fitting!  Now it looks like DMCH sells an adaptor
block and both pop-off & high pressure cut-off pieces for a
total of around $100.  I need to call them and verify the
adaptor block is for real.

Walt