Re: [DMCForum] spark plug problem bad.

Jordan,

Such a problem couldn't have happened to a better guy.  You
are sure to make a complete how-to web site out of this job,
and that is good. ;-)

The most important thing about getting that apart is to not
leave any metal shavings in the cylinder.  The safest way is
as Martin suggested and take the head off.  My preference is
more along Scott's idea of using an easy-out.  I prefer to
call them hard-outs, since they are rarely easy.  My first
choice would be to use a variety that is a straight drill
rod with longitudinal splines.  You hammer it into the hole,
the splines grab what's left of the plug and hopefully the
whole mess unscrews.  Disadvantages are that unless the hole
is the exact size for the extractor then you need to drill
it to the right size.  Drilling isn't something I would try.
Next I would consider a regular tapered easy-out.

If I got the thing out while on the car, I would stick a
magnet down in the cylinder to pick up any loose metal that
fell in there.  I might also try a mini-vacuum hose.  In any
case, I would do a visual inspection inside the cylinder,
but I got lucky at a medical auction and got some unusual
instruments that were meant for playing inside of prostate
glands.  fun fun...

Walt

click here