Re: [DMCForum] Steering rack adventures

Did you misunderstand?

The steering column only fits on the rack one way, but the steering wheel
can fit on the column in like 30 different positions.
It is possible that the rack was put together differently than the
previous rack.  Perhaps the previous rack, while centered, had the
u-joint notch on the top, and your current one had the notch on the top
while centered.  The solution is to remove your steering wheel and put it
back on right side up when you are done centering the rack.

Jim

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:43:13 -0600 (CST) Andrew <aos+yahoo@xxxxxxxx>
writes:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, timnagin wrote:
>
> > Just curious, but did the front wheels and or steering wheel ever
> move from
> > the time they were disconnected from the old rack and connected to
> the new
> > one?
>
> Yeah, quite a bit, but I don't see how the design of the mechanism
> could
> allow for this to make any difference at all.  The universal joint
> can
> connect to the rack in only one orientation, so there exists a
> finite
> number of possible rack-column connection arrangements, and none of
> them
> is anywhere close to being right with this new rack.
>
> > Granted I have not done this yet on my car, but on another car of
> mine
> > movement did cause what you are referring to and what Andrei
> mentioned about
> > lock to lock.
>
> Lock to lock is no problem.  The wheels turn fully in each
> direction, just
> with the steering wheel about 2pi/3 radians off.
>
> -andrew

>  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

To visit your group on the web, go to: