Re: [DMCForum] Re: Ugh! Whacked a *@$%&% pothole hard.

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Walter Coe wrote:

> > the rack does move, but it's less than I thought.
>
> I don't think it should move at all.

Oh yeah, I agree here.  I was just saying that the movement is not the
primary cause of my loose steering.  Part of it, sure, but a small part.

> You may very well be right, but I suggest checking it to be
> sure.  I suggest checking your old rack for play first.
> Have one person jiggle the steering wheel while you get
> under the car and look for slack.

Oh it's got slack.  It's got lots of slack.  The universal joint is good
and tight on the outside.  No play there at all.  But I can keep the
wheels pinned and turn the steering wheel and watch the joint turn while
the boots on the rack actually expand and contract a little bit before I
run into resistance.  It's been like this as long as I've owned the car.
The recent road repair impact has just made it worse.  It does all appear
to be internal to the rack, thankfully.

The DMCH rebuilt rack comes with new tie rod ends.  The ends of them are
studs with nylon-lined nuts on them.  I'm not really familiar with the way
steering racks really work... Do I actually need a tie rod end puller to
do this replacement, or is it designed to separate two pieces I'm not
going to need to separate?

I can borrow one over the weekend from my mechanic, so it's easily
acquired if I need it to get the job done, but I won't bother if it's not
necessary.

> And if you replace the rack anyway, remember to check the
> feel of both racks while you can compare them side-by-side.

Will do.

-andrew

click here