Re: [DMCForum] Re: Ugh! Whacked a *@$%&% pothole hard.

Okay, I had a look at everything at the front end of the car today.

The lower control arms look okay.  The passenger side one has slight
corrugations (for lack of a better word) in the lip that sticks out the
edge, but it's been like this as long as I've owned the car.  The main
part of the arm is fine.

The front end does have the recall kit (I'd actually never looked before
today), and the sway bar is firmly attached in all the right places.

Just to make sure it was well seated (and to get a little preview of my
upcoming replacement), I removed and inspected the brackets holding in the
steering rack, and they both seem fine.  As I said last night, the rack
does move, but it's less than I thought.  Maybe 1/8" back and forth.  I
expect this is within tolerance.  What motion there is may be the result
of slightly bent mounting hardware (which will be inspected more closely
upon replacement of the rack), but 1/8" of play in the rack is certainly
not responsible for the fairly large amount of play in the steering wheel.

Reinstallation of the brackets didn't help the play in the steering at
all, so I must conclude that the already internally damaged rack was
simply further damaged by the impact, and now requires replacement more
than before.

Thanks for the tips, guys.  I'll probably get the rack replaced this
weekend, and I'll let you know how it goes.

-andrew

click here