[DMCForum] Re: Ugh! Whacked a *@$%&% pothole hard.

>slight corrugations (for lack of a better word) in the lip
that sticks out the
edge,

This is to be expected of any DeLorean that has been towed
very much.  The front tow hooks are not very strong.  They
are good for holding it to a trailer, but anything more
tends to break them.  So the next obvious place that tow
truck operators see, unfortunately, is the lower control
arms.

> the rack does move, but it's less than I thought.

I don't think it should move at all.

> I must conclude that the already internally damaged rack
was
simply further damaged by the impact

You may very well be right, but I suggest checking it to be
sure.  I suggest checking your old rack for play first.
Have one person jiggle the steering wheel while you get
under the car and look for slack.  Check the universal
joints in the steering linkage connecting the steering rack
to the steering wheel.  Then pull/push on the tie rods to
see if there is any sideways slack.  This will require
having the front of the car in the air and the wheels
hanging so you can get under there.

And if you replace the rack anyway, remember to check the
feel of both racks while you can compare them side-by-side.

Walt