Re: [DMCForum] jack points...

Early in my DeLorean career, I would support the car by the
jacking points (after picking the car up by the frame.)
Each time I did this I would hear too much shifting &
creaking, so I changed my methods.

Like Samuel said, I put a 2x4 on a floor jack and center it
under either the front or back.  If I am going to suspend
the whole car on jack stands then I lift the front first.
If I do the rear first then the front becomes too low to get
the jack under the frame.  Depending on the individual car
and how the suspension is currently jounced, sometimes I
have to grab the car by each wheel well and lift it by hand.
When done, this can put the car resting 1/2" higher or so
allowing me to get the floor jack w/2x4 under the frame.

An alternative method that some people use is to support the
car by the control arms.  I don't like this because
suspension things can shift, and I'm frequently working on
the suspension anyway.  If I'm not taking the wheels off
then I prefer to put the car on ramps.  I use the cheapy
plastic ones, but I don't drive the car up on them because
the cars are too low to clear.

For the record, the 2x4's that I use to lift the car measure
as follows:
Front = 28.5 inches
Rear = 22.5 inches
The floor jack goes in the center of the 2x4, and then the
jack stands go on the outer ends of the 2x4.  This gives the
best support.  One thing I might try doing different is
making the front board a little longer so that it goes under
instead of between the tow hooks.  But that would require
cutting notches so that the hooks don't interfere or placing
the board behind where the hooks are welded on.  For the
rear, I put the 2x4 between the lower control arms.

Once I didn't get the jack stands adjusted to the same
height on the front.  Then while working on the car I
managed to knock one of them out.  It scared the living shit
out of me.  But then I realized that the car wasn't resting
on it anyway.  The car was only held up by 2 stands on the
rear and one stand on the driver side front corner.  This
shows me that the frames are a lot stiffer & stronger than
most people give credit.  Now before crawling under a car, I
always give each stand a kick to make sure it is solid.  I
would rather crush a leg than something else.  I also keep a
cell phone on me.

If you think you are going to need to open the doors while
the car is up, have the doors open before you lift the car.
Otherwise a badly adjusted door can get a lot worse.

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c8js8d5/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egro
upweb/S=1705126215:HM/EXP=1070322435/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com
/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=999451207>