Re: [DMCForum] This temperature gauge is beginning to annoy me.

Re: [DMCForum] This temperature gauge is beginning to annoy me.

Andrew, when it quit the second time, was it already at the
6 o'clock position before you turned on the ignition?  The
gauge should be slow to respond and stick about where it was
the last time you had it powered.

I have little experience with volt gauges, so I'll just say
what I've heard.  People before have had them stick in the 6
o'clock position.  If thwacking doesn't fix it then the next
easiest fix is to push it back by sticking a paperclip
through the trip odometer reset button.  But not on a
regular basis!

> Very briefly shorting the pin connected to the
sender to ground had no effect at all.

Some gauges have a very slow response time, so "briefly" may
not have been long enough to have a visible effect.  I have
heard claims that the gauges have some kind of fluid filled
movement that can dry out making them more jittery.  Maybe
yours is binding internally.

I have also heard claims that grounding the sensor input
like you tried will damage the gauge, but I'm not sure if
that is true.  My speculation is that sensor resistance
increases with engine temperature, correct?  If so then
maybe grounding the input causes the needle to show extreme
low where it sticks.  Maybe you have an intermittent short
in the circuit?

Hold on... okay, I'm back.  Since I have an engine out
sitting on the floor, I just measured the sensor and got
2.65K ohm.  So it makes sense that a short could be too much
for the gauge.  I bet you have an intermittent short either
in the wiring (affected by vibration) or the sensor itself
(thermal related).  But then probability suggests that the
problem lies in the last thing you messed with which is the
instrument cluster itself.

Let us know how you make out.

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=267637.4116719.5338353.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512