[DMCForum] This temperature gauge is beginning to annoy me.

[DMCForum] This temperature gauge is beginning to annoy me.

I've been fighting with my temperature gauge ever since I installed the
El-Glo cluster stuff.  The first time I started the car after
installation, no problems.  Second time, the gauge was stuck pointing
straight down (i.e. 6 o'clock position).  A good thwack to the binnacle
fixed it for that trip, but it was dead again on the next and no longer
responded to thwacking.

I figured I'd probably manhandled the wiring harness enough to create a
bad connection or something.  So I pulled the binnacle back out and looked

at everything to make sure it was visually in good shape.  No apparent
problems, so I reinstalled.  Gauge works!  Once.  On the second drive,
it's again stuck at 6 o'clock.

So I began to check some real things.  The connections to +12, ground, and
the sender were all good.  Very briefly shorting the pin connected to the
sender to ground had no effect at all.  So I removed the whole binnacle
again.  This time, when I had it apart, I noticed that if I peered in from

the edge, it actually looked like the needle was barely barely impacting
the clear plastic cover.  Aha, I thought.

I shimmed out the plastic just a little with a washer and part of a
business card from a local traffic ticket lawyer.  There's no way the
gauge can touch the window now.  I reinstalled the cluster, twisting a
stud off one of its mounts.  I think the metal used to make most of the
mounting studs in this car has approximately the same tensile strength as
room temperature margarine.  The gauge works!  Once.  Now stuck at 6
again.

Obviously I played with the gauge quite a bit in getting the El-Glo panels

in, but I've never heard of a gauge breaking in any fashion quite like
this.  Anyone got any clues?  If not, at least I got to bitch.  :)

Thanks for the VOV info, Walt.  I'll be sure to pick one up before I next
rip the AC apart, which seems to be a biannual event at this point.

-andrew

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1754451/R=0/SIG=11t8a5ls2/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6
0178323&partid=4116732> click here