Re: [DMCForum] Walt, which VOV?

> Have any experience using a VOV with R-12?  Any better
than a fixed valve?

Dave, yes & yes.  I have installed VOVs in two DeLoreans
using R-12, one my daily driver and the other a local
friend's.  It doesn't make the a/c any colder with R-12
(that I have noticed), but it does cause the compressor to
cycle less often -- which is good.

Cycling clutch compressors pump a substantially greater
amount at highway speeds than at idle.  So when the
engineers choose a fixed orifice size, they basically made a
crude compromise for the best size that will work in most
conditions.  The system's efficiency takes a beating
accordingly.

On the other hand, VOVs continually adjust their orifice
size for the optimum spray pattern whether at idle or
highway speeds.  As a comparison, consider how efficient
your engine would be if you made all your fuel injectors
spray the same amount at idle as at wide open throttle.
(Well, that's an exaggerated example, but you get the idea.)
The guy who invented the FOT is the same guy who later
invented the VOV.  It's like after thinking about it for
several years, he realized his mistake and fixed it.

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1754451/R=0/SIG=11tm86fb5/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6
0178323&partid=4116730> click here