[DMCForum] Re: and yet more fuel system issues...

[DMCForum] Re: and yet more fuel system issues...

Is suction, not temp. Hose died in harsh gasoline environment.

If remainder of your baffle is OK can buy new hose or try to reinforce
yours with internal spring like old fashioned lower radiator hoses.
MAKE SURE REMAINDER OF BAFFLE OK. A piece of deteriorated fuel pump
boot got sucked up against my protective fabric screens, broke right
through, made fuel pump literally scream, stopped up fuel system and
made accumulator actually moan, then coincidentally was beginning of
end for my catalytic converter.

Since pump (which made funny grinding noises after that) was just
Brand X without check valve -- hot start city -- used opportunity to
replace everything from tank to fuel distributor. Best $300 I ever
spent on the car. Went with John Hervey's simplified baffle: recommend
highly. 25 year old fluoroelastometric hoses are miserable to work
with so I replaced with new Goodyear fuel injection hose: $5 per foot,
ouch. Don't use carburetor fuel line hose because miniscule bits will
flake off and clog system.

Bought my car cheap because PO never could get to run right (engine
replaced by PPO). Has been definite learning curve, but is SO right
now. Dare say it's sweet...

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> Over the last couple of days, I've had this problem where if I depress
> the pedal more than 1/4 of the way, the engine stumbles and bucks. I
> have a serious loss of power.
>
> Obviously this is a fuel supply problem. I changed the filter. It
> was...bad to put it mildly. This didn't really help the problem, but
> better late than never.
>
> I dove into the fuel tank today to inspect things. I made sure that
> the new pump I bought a year ago did not have that plastic sheath that
> washes off (it didn't). I only now remembered that I used the original
> pick up hose that was attached to the baffle inside the tank.
>
> The pick up hose is as soft as jelly. I've heard of folks' pickup
> lines collapsing in hot weather. Is it possible that sucking through
> an old "pick up screen" combined with being soft, is causing the line
> to collapse even though the weather is cooler?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=267637.4116719.5338353.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1754451/R=0/SIG=11tpj98m3/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6