[DMCForum] Re: Suspension Options for the DeLorean

[DMCForum] Re: Suspension Options for the DeLorean

My D is a little strange. It was kept in Long Island, NY for it's
whole life and I've dealt with a lot of rusted hardware but some
places where you'd expect the worst corrosion is/are very managable.

Re: cutting coil springs. If you know how to get away with that kind
of stuff, more power to you. I've said in the past, I'm no structural
engineer. I'll scrimp and save for the actual part thanks. :)

In reality, I guess I'm a ways off from worrying about this sort of
thing.

I'm still working on replacing my calipers, getting the engine set
right, repairing the speedometer and repairing the interior.

Rich

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:
> Answer Rich's question: shocks aren't any big deal UNLESS car has
been
> in road salt. Then all bets are off. Bolts snap off, nuts sieze,
etc.
> And you're usually doing this upside down, in tight quarters, on a
> vehicle only jacked up a couple of feet above driveway. THAT'S why
> people leave shocks on car for 25 years.
>
> Have to replace on my Lincolns because cars sit too low otherwise.
>
> Rebuilt suspension on one Lincoln (fat PO). Convinced me I don't
want
> to do another. DeLo might be easier because everything smaller
scale.

> In defense of modifying original suspension:
>
> I simply cut down front springs. Actually accomplished while they
were
> still on car -- couldn't get shock absorbers out of lower control
arms
> (bolts and top nuts removed OK, but the stupid things wouldn't
budge.
> Beat, pryed, and tugged to no avail). Used McPherson strut
compressors
> to compress springs from outside vs traditional coil compressor.
>
> Lowered in 1/4 coil increments until front wheel gaps matched rear.
> Looks excellent. Because springs lost flattened bases, matched
> spiraling coils to natural angle of lower control arms -- each cut
> positioned in center of bowl closest to wheel. Passenger spirals
> towards front, driver spirals towards rear. At top center springs
> leave bowls as they continue spiral up. Handles like a dream, even
> with original shocks. Louie has driven my car if you want
independent
> opinion.
>
> Springs cut down 3000-4000 miles ago and front wheels haven't fallen
> off yet...
>
> In case you haven't noticed, I'm on budget DeLo program.
>
> Bill Robertson
>
> >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> > After reading Capt. H2's post, I was interested in creating
> > a "touring ride" combination but Walt seems to feel that it
wasn't
> > necessarily safe. The bummer is, this is the kind of thing you'd
like
> > to "try before you buy".
> >
> > If I could test a D that has the setup I'd like I might do it
anyway.

> > My dad had a '79 Corvette. The ride seemed very harsh to me. I
know
> > that's how it's supposed to be but that's not necessarily how I
want
> > my car to be.
> >
> > How many of you here think that a softer, touring style setup
would
> > be a bad idea?
> >
> > How difficult is it to replace the shocks? I've never done
suspension
> > work before.
> >
> > Rich

> [...]

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=243273.4089246.5300282.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1750744/R=0/SIG=129eirf4b/*http://servedby.advertising.com/click
/site=552006/bnum=1067443789106034> Click to learn more...

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=243273.4089246.5300282.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1750744/rand=879059705>