[DMCForum] Re: Suspension Options for the DeLorean

[DMCForum] Re: Suspension Options for the DeLorean

Answer Rich's question: shocks aren't any big deal UNLESS car has been
in road salt. Then all bets are off. Bolts snap off, nuts sieze, etc.
And you're usually doing this upside down, in tight quarters, on a
vehicle only jacked up a couple of feet above driveway. THAT'S why
people leave shocks on car for 25 years.

Have to replace on my Lincolns because cars sit too low otherwise.

Rebuilt suspension on one Lincoln (fat PO). Convinced me I don't want
to do another. DeLo might be easier because everything smaller scale.

In defense of modifying original suspension:

I simply cut down front springs. Actually accomplished while they were
still on car -- couldn't get shock absorbers out of lower control arms
(bolts and top nuts removed OK, but the stupid things wouldn't budge.
Beat, pryed, and tugged to no avail). Used McPherson strut compressors
to compress springs from outside vs traditional coil compressor.

Lowered in 1/4 coil increments until front wheel gaps matched rear.
Looks excellent. Because springs lost flattened bases, matched
spiraling coils to natural angle of lower control arms -- each cut
positioned in center of bowl closest to wheel. Passenger spirals
towards front, driver spirals towards rear. At top center springs
leave bowls as they continue spiral up. Handles like a dream, even
with original shocks. Louie has driven my car if you want independent
opinion.

Springs cut down 3000-4000 miles ago and front wheels haven't fallen
off yet...

In case you haven't noticed, I'm on budget DeLo program.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> After reading Capt. H2's post, I was interested in creating
> a "touring ride" combination but Walt seems to feel that it wasn't
> necessarily safe. The bummer is, this is the kind of thing you'd like
> to "try before you buy".
>
> If I could test a D that has the setup I'd like I might do it anyway.
>
> My dad had a '79 Corvette. The ride seemed very harsh to me. I know
> that's how it's supposed to be but that's not necessarily how I want
> my car to be.
>
> How many of you here think that a softer, touring style setup would
> be a bad idea?
>
> How difficult is it to replace the shocks? I've never done suspension
> work before.
>
> Rich
>
> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Samuel <samuel_yahoo@xxxx> wrote:
> >
> > >I'll find out when I get the springs on.  What is stopping me is
> finding a spring compressor that I feel safe using.
> > >

> > I'm going to swap the setup at some point to the dmch performance
> > package. Guess I'll have to get you to find a spring compressor you
> like
> > so we can have a fun weekend project on a couple of cars :)
> >
> > Samuel

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124j83ehr/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=933324576>