Re: [DMCForum] Turbos, was: EFI by Jim vin 6147

Re: [DMCForum] Turbos, was: EFI by Jim vin 6147

> Angular velocity is the correct term for "rotational speed" and  _you_
> measure it in rotations per minute. Usually it's in degrees/second or
> radians per second. Comes to the same thing though. Power is directly
> proportinal to the torque produced multiplied by the speed you can
> spin it.... Getting really basic here....

i didn't realize it was so popular.  I will be sure to install my angular
velocitometer right away.

> >Exactly not!  With horsepower does not necessarily come torque,
> >especially on high revving Hondas!  I don't get your point,
> anyways.
> >
> You're thinking of bottom-end torque - ie what you get from an
> american
> engine or in my case a Diesel (I drive a modern direct injected
> turbo-diesel - 2 litres and 250Nm of torque at 3000rpm). Torque is
> produced higher up in the rev range which results in lots of
> power.....
> You yourself already stated torque and power are directly
> proportional....

In the limit, as HP approaches infinity, torque approaches zero.  So with
horsepower does not necessarily come torque.  If you want to start
measuring dicks, you're going to lose.

> And you must also choose to mount the turbo to the end of a tuned pipe
> with headers or to a manifold, putting it as close as possible to the
> exhaust ports on the cylinder heads, deliberately creating turbulence
in
> the exhaust to increase the pressure available to spin the turbo.
> Over-spinning is always a risk, so in practical terms the wastegate
> is required to protect the turbo and engine, but in theory, the turbo
> will try to keep boosting to higher and higher flows.

Over spinning is never a risk with an appropriately chosen turbo.  There
are "edges" on the efficiency chart that should not be exceeded, lest
damage might occur to the turbo.  If chosen correctly, the edges will not
be crossed by the engine's "chart" on the efficiency map.

> Electronic wastegate.... OK now I *think* I understand how these things

> go. You're talking the difference between an HKS boost controller
> and my friend's £10 bleed-off valve mounted in his centre console
>
> http://www.skylinegts.co.uk/images/Owners_cars/Sisky-int.jpg
>
> It's to the left of his cigarette lighter. (yes I know the car's old,
> but considering what Nissan were doing in 1985 just goes to show how
> out of date the DeLorean is- it's a phenominal car to drive). All this
> valve does is deliberately bleed air off from the wategate upping the
> boost pressure. It's a simple way of doing what the "electronic"
> controllers achieve for £xxx more. It only works because the RB20DET
uses mass
> air flow metering.

If you are implying that a bleed off valve is as good as an electronic
boost controller, you are wrong.  It is certainly cheaper, but also
suckier.  Most controllers have some sort of "gain" control, which
governs how fast the wastegate opens/closes.  Some controllers have
learning so that it can open the wastegate without overdamping or
underdamping.  Bleed off valves are less good because they start opening
the wastegate long before the optimal point.

Jim

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Yahoo! Autos. Everything you need to know about buying or selling a car.
FREE Quotes, 360° Tours, Research,
Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/HliolB/TM