Re: [DMCForum] Turbos, was: EFI by Jim vin 6147

Jim Strickland wrote:

>>Ok, my bad. Angular velocity, not velocity of car.
>>

>I usually use RPM because there is a gauge on my dash that tells me what
>the RPM is.  I do not have an angular velocitometer.

Angular velocity is the correct term for "rotational speed" and _you_
measure it in rotations per minute. Usually it's in degrees/second or
radians per second. Comes to the same thing though. Power is directly
proportinal to the torque produced multiplied by the speed you can spin
it.... Getting really basic here....

>Exactly not!  With horsepower does not necessarily come torque,
>especially on high revving Hondas!  I don't get your point, anyways.

You're thinking of bottom-end torque - ie what you get from an american
engine or in my case a Diesel (I drive a modern direct injected
turbo-diesel - 2 litres and 250Nm of torque at 3000rpm). Torque is
produced higher up in the rev range which results in lots of power.....
You yourself already stated torque and power are directly proportional....

>I would not say this.  Choosing a correct turbo for an engine is very
>important.  It can easily be too small or too large for an application.
>Every turbo has an efficiency map.  When making a turbo system, the user
>must choose the best turbo for the application.  This is done using an
>efficiency graph with the axes "pressure ratio" and "air flow".  The
>pressure ratio is based on the turbo pressure, the air flow is based on
>the size of the engine and RPM.  Too much or too little pressure for the
>type of engine and turbocharger will make the turbo run non-efficiently.

And you must also choose to mount the turbo to the end of a tuned pipe
with headers or to a manifold, putting it as close as possible to the
exhaust ports on the cylinder heads, deliberately creating turbulence in
the exhaust to increase the pressure available to spin the turbo.
Over-spinning is always a risk, so in practical terms the wastegate is
required to protect the turbo and engine, but in theory, the turbo will
try to keep boosting to higher and higher flows.

>No.  I was talking about the sensor that senses turbo pressure and
>controls the gain and psi of the turbo.  Say you want to run 5 psi to the
>engine, and you set the electronic control for the wastegate at 5psi
>(assuming you have an electronic wastegate).

Electronic wastegate.... OK now I *think* I understand how these things
go. You're talking the difference between an HKS boost controller and my
friend's £10 bleed-off valve mounted in his centre console

http://www.skylinegts.co.uk/images/Owners_cars/Sisky-int.jpg

It's to the left of his cigarette lighter. (yes I know the car's old,
but considering what Nissan were doing in 1985 just goes to show how out
of date the DeLorean is- it's a phenominal car to drive). All this valve
does is deliberately bleed air off from the wategate upping the boost
pressure. It's a simple way of doing what the "electronic" controllers
achieve for £xxx more. It only works because the RB20DET uses mass air
flow metering.

Martin

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124ukap9t/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595054> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595054/rand=497965169>