[DMCForum] Turbos, was: EFI by Jim vin 6147

[DMCForum] Turbos, was: EFI by Jim vin 6147

> >HP=torque*RPM/5252 .  Nothing to do with speed.
> Ok, my bad. Angular velocity, not velocity of car.

I usually use RPM because there is a gauge on my dash that tells me what
the RPM is.  I do not have an angular velocitometer.

> >Turbos are made for
> >torque, not horsepower.
> >
> Thats a bit of a sweeping statement isn't it? With one comes the other,

> and it depends how you implement it. How else is the 2.0l 6 pot RB20DET

> Nissan engine capable of producing over 500hp? Huge boost (24psi)
> and high revs (>8000)

Exactly not!  With horsepower does not necessarily come torque,
especially on high revving Hondas!  I don't get your point, anyways.

> >The efficiency of a turbo is mapped and the
> >implementor can decide what RPM range the turbo will be most
efficient.

> A turbo is almost universally capable of delivering huge volumes of air

> in excess of what the engne's capable of dealing with - hence the use
of
> the wastegate.

I would not say this.  Choosing a correct turbo for an engine is very
important.  It can easily be too small or too large for an application.
Every turbo has an efficiency map.  When making a turbo system, the user
must choose the best turbo for the application.  This is done using an
efficiency graph with the axes "pressure ratio" and "air flow".  The
pressure ratio is based on the turbo pressure, the air flow is based on
the size of the engine and RPM.  Too much or too little pressure for the
type of engine and turbocharger will make the turbo run non-efficiently.

> >Also it depends on where the turbo pressure sensor is placed to
> >determine the responsiveness of the engine.
> >
> Turbo pressure sensor? You're talking about mapped fuelling based on
> boost pressure. Read up on mass air flow metering, or Karmen Vortex
> metering (thanks Gary).

No.  I was talking about the sensor that senses turbo pressure and
controls the gain and psi of the turbo.  Say you want to run 5 psi to the
engine, and you set the electronic control for the wastegate at 5psi
(assuming you have an electronic wastegate).  Putting the sensor at the
output of the turbo will yield 5psi at the output of the turbo.  This may
be down to 4 or 3 psi after ducting and intercooler losses.  Putting the
sensor at the throttle body, and the turbo's wastegate will open later,
yielding 5psi at the throttle body, and 6, 7 or whatever PSI at the turbo
output.  This also increases turbo response by keeping the pressure at
the throttle body high- when the throttle opens, the wastegate is already
closing because the pressure at the throttle plate goes down.  In the
other scenario, it takes time for the pressure to drop at the turbo
outlet after the throttle plates open, creating lag.

> >I would think that it, *assuming* 100% coupling, it would take more
> >torque to spin two wheels vs. spin one wheel.  Of course, if the
> PRV
> >can't spin any wheels, this is irrelavent.
> >
> This is because of the low final drive. I've already said that
> should be changed, AND ieverything is available to do it.

Then I stand by the statement that adding an LSD to the delo transmission
is like lipstick on a pig.  If you want to add mascara and other stuff
to, that's your prerogative.  You might as well change the input shaft
and a few gears in there while you are at it.

Jim

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1732161/R=0/SIG=11p5b9ris/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=