[DMCForum] Re: The Moment of Truth

Sigh...Walt tells me to take pride in my humility....

I've read the term "on the rock" in the manual. What does that mean
EXACTLY?
I assume it means the valves are open.

Either way I'll tell you this, I removed the mixture control unit and
dizzy, rotated the engine 360 degrees and put the dizzy back.

No joy. It seemed to think about catching exactly one time, after
that, nothing. I tried starter fluid before and after re doing the
distributor. I have checked the manual. I'm doing it exactly right.

My old man told me, for an engine to run, you gotta have
the "triangle" Air, fire, and fuel. We have air (duh), We have fire
(spark). I used a test spark plug and it sparks. I have fuel. I can
hear the fuel distributor work, I can smell the gas. I have control
pressure. I'm using my old fuel distro which needs replacement, it
runs too rich. (I'll replace it in a week I promise) But it -will-
run the engine.

It has to be timing, but I've gone each way with it. I know I'm
close. I'm so close I'm playing hookie from work tomorrow to really
get into it. I'll call "mission control" in Houston and see what they
say.

If anyone wants to help, we can swap phone numbers off line and I'll
call.

Rich

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx>
wrote:
> To work out TDC on cyl 1 stick a long screwdriver down the spark
plug
> hole on cyl 1. Also remove the RH rocker cover. The screwdriver
will let
> you know which mark is TDC, but won't tell you if the cam is in
firing
> position. For that you have to check that the valves on cyl 1
are "on
> the rock", if they're not, spin thecrank 360.
>
> Martin
>
> cruznmd wrote:
>
> >Excellent gentlemen. I will do both of your suggestions, find the
> >mark on the dizzy body and rotate the engine one more revolution.
> >Both probably had something to do with it.
> >
> >Now if I could just fart off the rest of work today...

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o72ctft/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autore
dir?camp=556&lineid=3512844?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=234588238>