Re: [DMCForum] Help!! Thermostat woes

> The high pitched screech is still there and didn't go away.

It sounds like you have a really bad vacuum leak.  The part that you
removed
(the front part of the intake manifold) people usually call it the "rams
horns".  There are supposed to be thin paper gaskets on the flat flanges
and
o-rings on the pipe nipple thingys.

When I replaced a thermostat, I also replaced the gaskets only to have it
whistle incredibly loud.  The new gaskets were too thin (or the mating
surfaces were too warped) and worked like a musical instrument reed.  So
we
made new gaskets out of a thicker material -- the standard black paper
stuff
you buy in a roll at any auto parts store.  We used the old ones for a
pattern & cut them out with an exacto-knife.

Be careful with the long bolt that holds the rams horns on.  That can
strip
out.

Do you still have the radiator fans running continuously?  If so then your
hot running problem obviously isn't the otterstat.  If it isn't the
thermostat then I would suspect you have air trapped in the system.  Some
leaks can suck in air, and as I remember you still have most of your
original hoses (well, heck, so do I so don't feel bad :-).  Maybe your
radiator is plugging with crud.  The green variety of coolant is supposed
be changed every 2 years, and the orange variety is not compatible with
DeLoreans.

Here is one important thing to do while you have the thermostats out!  Put
both of them in a pot of water on the stove and bring them to a boil with
cooking thermometer.  See which one opens first and at what temperature.

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1564415/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164784&partid