Re: [DMCForum] A/C system hose replacement

Re: [DMCForum] A/C system hose replacement

> I had to get a hose made to connect to my brand new hose to get the
accumulator to fit in right.  dammit.

It is not the case that the early VIN accumulator is obsolete.  They just
switched to a different style for the later VINs.  The first time I bought
an accumulator at Super Parts, the one that their computer said fit a
DeLorean had the hose exiting the bottom.  But I needed the style for
later
VINs where it exits the side.  So I asked for one that would fit an '84
Corvette and they brought out a 30191 which fit perfectly.

I don't see an advantage to making a DeLorean fit the other kind of
accumulator unless you already have the wrong one and an adapter hose is
cheaper.  It is more complicated than making the hose longer.  The early
VIN's fitting has a 45º fitting and the later VIN has a 90º.

I would like to find a way to plumb in a high pressure cut out switch like
the later VINs use.  On the previous system I did, I noticed the pressures
were way too high.  The sound of the engine was loud enough that I
couldn't
hear that the radiator fans weren't working.  Luckily I noticed the
pressure
gauge before something blew.  The gauge was bouncing somewhere over 300
psi.
Yeah, I'm an idiot for letting it get that high, but who would have
thought?
The system almost Vixen'ed a la Dave Stragand.

> Has anyone outsourced or changed out that fan to a better model?

I'm not sure what is available.  There are two sizes that will fit the
DeLorean a/c blower opening.  The smaller one is what comes OEM.  Then
there
is a larger size where the motor body is an inch or so longer.  The
problem
with this one is that I don't know if anyone makes one in this size that
spins "backwards" as per what a DeLorean needs.  Most GM applications have
the motor spinning the "right way".  Although there are ways to make the
motor spin backwards.  One is to reverse the polarity (not the best way
cuz
that leaves you a positive ground).  The best way is to take the motor
apart
and flip the magnets over.  That is the difference between a DeLorean
blower
vs. most of what GM uses.

I found one of the larger size motors in a junkyard Cadillac.  It seemed
run at a higher RPM but I had no way of taking measurements at the time.
This was several years ago before I was into DeLoreans.  I used the motor
replace a smaller "DeLorean size" motor in an Oldsmobile.  It worked
great.
It really seemed to blow more air.

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor