[DMCForum] Electric De Lorean stuff...

Since it has been a little quiet in here I will throw this out as a
possible
topic for discussion.  I don't know how many have been following this site
but I just checked in and found this interesting.  The site again is
http://tilleyfoundation.com/ .

This first quote from the page is:

"We discovered that in addition to our bearing problem on the left side
that
on the right side the transmission axle was hitting the top of the car
frame
on the curves at 96 mph and was cutting the shaft."

Is this even possible at these speeds given the banking angle of the
track?
Under normal circumstances how far would the car have to list so the axle
shaft was in contact with the frame?  It seems to me if it were in contact
with the frame and being cut then it would have failed rather quickly and
other obvious damage would have occurred.  The car looks pretty damned
flat
coming out of the turn. http://tilleyfoundation.com/photos/sat9.jpg

This second quote from the page is:

"At this point a date for a repeat of the validation test has not been
established as we have to access the time it will take to be fully
prepared.
In addition, strong consideration is being given to convert a more modern
vehicle, perhaps an SUV, that may be more capable of handling the stress
inherent in this type of testing."

The De Lorean has a lower center-of-gravity that any SUV on the road no
matter how much you lower the SUV and add really cool ground effects.
This
also is in complete contrast to what my business associate was told by one
of the people involved.  That being the reason the De Lorean was chosen is
because the company is no longer in business and if they were to use any
current model vehicle then the manufacturer could lay some sort of claim
being a contributor of the project's success and would be able to profit
as
well.

Greg

Sell a Home with Ease!