[DMCForum] Re: Vavle Adjustment & the Shop Manual

[DMCForum] Re: Vavle Adjustment & the Shop Manual

Andrei,

Actually, your advice is the safest. And thank you to a few folks
that also emailed me.
I spoke to my brother, who knows nothing about DeLoreans - but is a
mechanic by trade in S.Florida. He had similar advice.

I'm going to take pictures and notes - and later post them to the
group. I can say this, if anyone is thinking about doing this (and is
SURE that it needs to be done...don't mistake valve adjustments for
other problems) I have this advice:

DON'T BE AFRAID. I've already started it on one bank. It's remarkably
easy, just be careful careful and precise.

You can verify that you have done it correctly by simply taking a
compression reading both before you start and after you are done. If
the reading is the same - then you did not "over adjust". If your
tapping rocker sound has dimished and your compression is the same -
then you did no harm, and correctly adjusted your valves. (Just a
sanity check!)

I am pleased with my results thus far, I still have the other bank to
go. I provide the group with a pracy of how it worked for me.

Eric
Dunedin, FL

"With care - Nothing ventured, nothing gained"

--- In DMCForum@xxxx, "Andrei Cular" <acular@xxxx> wrote:
> Sorry it has taken so long for me to get to this email, too much
work...

> First off forget about the manual.  Only use it to findout what the
gap is
> susposed to be.  The easiest way I have found on the D since it is
over head
> cam is just watch for when the rocker is on the lowest part of the
cam lobe.
> When a rocker arm gets to that point adjust that valve, u should
beable to
> adjust at least 2 at a time this way unless u get lucky on the
rotation then
> maybe 3 or 4.
>
> When you do this make sure the engine has not been run for about
12hr.  It
> is very important that all the components are at the same temp or
else your
> adjustments will not be correct.  I had a problem with a VW once
cause one
> side of the engine was sitting in the sun and got hot.
>
> Walt if that car has a metalic sound adjust the valves NOW!!!  When
it
> sounds that bad its like you are hammering the tops of the vavles
and they
> will start to mushroom, then all u can do it replace thm.
>

> Andrei

Rob
> Grady,
> > he brought up the subject that it is important to make sure every
DeLorean
> > has this adjustment done sooner than later.
> >
> > The DeLorean that I had the a/c question on has a very sharp tap-
tap-tap
> > sound.  A leaky exhaust gasket has more of a Volkswagen exhaust
sound.
> This
> > one is more of a metallic knocking.
> >
> > Walt