Re: [DMCForum] Re: Help, Andrei's Fallen Into the HP Trap [SlightlyT]

content22207 wrote:

>Horsepower is calculated from 2 numbers: Torque and RPM's. An engine
>that "only" produces a couple hundred HP, but does so at low RPM's, is
>MUCH more powerful than an engine rated even higher at high RPM's.

No it isn't, it just has more torque at low rpms. In the case of
diesels, they can't rev as high as a petrol equivalent. If you had the
right gearbox that geared a sportscar engine down to make use of the
torque available at top end for pulling rather than accelleration, you'd
realise the sportscar engine is tranferring more energy.

My education taught me to be specific with my terminology. Power is rate
of transfer of energy. Energy cannot be created or destroyed. Power is
torque times speed, and you are limited purely by the amount of chemical
energy available to you by burning fuel, so for a given amount of fuel,
you can have either torque or speed. That "given amount of fuel" in this
case can be considered as the size of the engine.

Martin

Click to learn more...