[DMCForum] Re: Help, Andrei's Fallen Into the HP Trap [Slightly T]

[DMCForum] Re: Help, Andrei's Fallen Into the HP Trap [Slightly T]

Andrei, Andrei, Andrei -- don't fall into the HP trap.

Horsepower is calculated from 2 numbers: Torque and RPM's. An engine
that "only" produces a couple hundred HP, but does so at low RPM's, is
MUCH more powerful than an engine rated even higher at high RPM's.

Consider a semi trailer tractor. "Only" puts out 300-400 HP. But it
does so at 1,500 RPM. Do you suppose your Porsche -- with the same HP
rating -- could pull 80,000 lbs as that tractor does? The answer is of
course "no" because it would never be able to rev anywhere near its
power band (actually it would stall the minute you let the clutch out).

Domestic big blocks have tremendous torque -- 3 or 4 times as much as
a little sports car engine. That's why you see people towing boats and
trailers with a Cadillac, but never a Honda.

FYI: HP = Torque x RPM / 5252.

The 450 HP rating of your 454 is probably a gross number, calculated
out of the vehicle with no accessories on the front. That's the way
American manufacturers did it in the 1960s. Actual net HP in the car
averaged a hundred ponies or so lower. Domestic manufacturers switched
to net HP ratings at the same time they dropped compression ratios --
lower compression does lower HP, but not as badly as the 1972 numbers
make it appear.

If you're having problems with the 454 in your boat, consider a Ford
460. I know it's a popular marine application.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Andrei Cular" <andreic@xxxx> wrote:
> I'll have a charged battery and fuel waiting for your arrival.  I would
> really like to run the engine a little, it has been about a year since I
> even turned it over.  But I did poor some mystery oil into the
cylinders.

> 1200lb of steel is a bit much considering it only puts out 450hp.  A
Porsche