Re: [DMCForum] Re: Copyright Issues

That may be correct, but that is not the logo on the
front of our cars...  In addition, I have not found
any evidence that there was a trademark filed for the
"outline" logo in those advertisements.

Many of the items that DMCH has taken issue with only
used the logo as seen on the front of our cars, which
I see no evidence DMCH owns the trademark on.

The truth is, none of this matters.. as long as DMCH
continues to make issue of it and no one challenges it
in court, we are just having an exercise in mental
masturbation..  The lawyer I spoke to said it is
likely the DMCH trademark (if challenged) would be
overturned because of it's similarity to the 1978
registration.  The fact that DMC used it themselves
back then only hurts DMCH more (if I am correct in my
assumptions, and DMCH has yet to say otherwise).

That is not to say, it still bugs me that DMCH has the
nerve to say they own art they did not originate.  If
the trademark registration from 1978 had been
maintained, and passed on to DMCH with the rest of the
assets, then I would agree that they own it.  Clearly
the Trademark database says otherwise, therefor it is
public domain.

The purpose (as I see it) in DMCH claiming ownership
of this logo is to assert that they are DMC, and make
the public beleive they are the same company that
produced our cars. Invokes the thought "Where better
to get your parts and service than the company that
made your car?", but DMCH did not build our cars.  Am
I the only one who sees a problem with deception like
this?

Marc

http://www.midstatedmc.com/gallery/scans/ads/repro_art-81-a.jpg

http://www.midstatedmc.com/gallery/scans/ads/index.html