Re: [DMCForum] Re: ATTN: Jim S

Hello to the king of sweeping statements once again. (and sorry to
everyone else, I couldn't resist). Still wondering exactly what point
youre making, Bill.

content22207 wrote:

>Internal combustion reality is: the longer the mixture burns, the
>hotter the cylinder and its components will become.

Some of us might be more worried about simply getting the most complete
burn.

>Guess you've
>never heard of someone burning a valve. I've also heard of people
>melting holes in the tops of their pistons. BTW: It's usually the
>"performance" crowd doing these things.

Yes. Because when playing with turbo engines it's all too easy. You have
to worry about three things, all which affect each other. Boost, timing
and fuelling. If one goes wrong.... my friend's Skyline melted a piston
because a head gasket job had been done a bit overzealously and the
compression was too high, for example.

>Have you ever compared the operating temperature of a big block to a
>little engine like the PRV?

You're labouring under a serious misapprehension if you think the
DeLorean's PRV is small. It's a 2.85l low compression, large bore, short
stroke V6. A "small" engine is a 2 litre 4cyl variable-valve "Type R"
Honda engine that screams to 9000rpm and puts out nearly 200hp.

Martin