[DMCForum] new topic PLEASE!
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[DMCForum] new topic PLEASE!



Hey Marc (Levy), how are you getting on with your engine conversion
project? Any pics yet?

Thanks,
John
PS Please give PRV arguments a rest for a week, it is sooo boring.


--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:
> The point I was making is: my engine burns too hot timed at 13
degrees
> BTDC (that mysterious notch on my timing scale, which I am now
> convinced was transplanted, not original the the block -- even F
> series B27 is spec'd at 10 degrees). Jim thinks it doesn't get too
> hot. I have Louie as an eyewitness: plugs weren't melted (Delco
> R42's), but they definitely were headed in that direction. There IS
> such a thing as too much burn time in the cylinder...
>
> The "ass-dyno" he refers to is my perception that the car performed
no
> better timed like that. But I apparently have no idea what I'm doing
> anyway (Dear God, please don't let my driveway full of vintage
> automobiles disintegrate like the Blues Brothers the next time I
turn
> the key) so my butt must be the world's most imprecise measuring
> instrument.
>
> And don't go waving your HP numbers too proudly: even my dumbed down
> 460's, only producing 210 HP, still turn 425 lbs of torque. Move
5,000
> lbs of sheet metal (and a REAL cast frame, thank you very much) 0-60
> in 8-9 seconds effortlessly. The reason they don't scream at
> rediculously high RPM's is BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO.
>
> How are these for sweeping statements:
> Advantages of a REAL big block (PRV is *NOT* a big engine):
> - Power -- "there is no replacement for displacement"
> - Slower RPM's -- quieter running, less stress on engine components
> - Lower operating temperature -- seals and gaskets last longer
> - Ease of maintenance -- not only is every single component larger
and
> easier to access, but you don't have to mess with them nearly as
often
>
> Final thought: doesn't your statement that "Some of us might be more
> worried about simply getting the most complete burn" (apparently in
> reference to advancing ignition time) TOTALLY confirm what I said
last
> month about American manufacturers doing just that to get through
> emissions?! Last month I was thoroughly pilloried for saying such.
Now
> you say EXACTLY the same thing...
>
> Bill Robertson
> #5939

> >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx>
wrote:
> > Hello to the king of sweeping statements once again. (and sorry
to
> > everyone else, I couldn't resist). Still wondering exactly what
point
> > youre making, Bill.
> >
> > content22207 wrote:
> >
> > >Internal combustion reality is: the longer the mixture burns, the
> > >hotter the cylinder and its components will become. 
> > >
> > Some of us might be more worried about simply getting the most
complete
> > burn.
> >
> > >Guess you've
> > >never heard of someone burning a valve. I've also heard of people
> > >melting holes in the tops of their pistons. BTW: It's usually the
> > >"performance" crowd doing these things.
> > >
> > Yes. Because when playing with turbo engines it's all too easy.
You
> have
> > to worry about three things, all which affect each other. Boost,
timing
> > and fuelling. If one goes wrong.... my friend's Skyline melted a
piston
> > because a head gasket job had been done a bit overzealously and
the
> > compression was too high, for example.
> >
> > >Have you ever compared the operating temperature of a big block
to a
> > >little engine like the PRV?
> > >
> > You're labouring under a serious misapprehension if you think the
> > DeLorean's PRV is small. It's a 2.85l low compression, large bore,
> short
> > stroke V6. A "small" engine is a 2 litre 4cyl variable-
valve "Type R"
> > Honda engine that screams to 9000rpm and puts out nearly 200hp.
> >
> > Martin



Yahoo! Groups Links



Home Back to the Home of PROJECT VIXEN


Copyright 2006 ProjectVixen.com.  All rights reserved.

Opinions expressed in posts reflect the views of their respective authors.
DMCForum Mailing List Archive  DMCNews Mailing List Archive  DMC-UK Mailing List Archive