[DMCForum] Then & Now

I often read articles on the Detroit Auto shows to keep current with
where cars are going. The latest was fascinating. Seen the new
corvette?

As the introduction year of the DeLorean grows ever distant, it's
interesting to make comparisons with the newer cars to test how
revolutionary the DeLorean actually was.

I know I'm not totally objective here, but I still say that certain
aspects of the car are current. I'll list my favorite aspects and let
the debate begin..;)

1. Body style- While it doesn't have that curved, "organic" look to
it, I consider the body style to be up-to-date with the possible
exception of the sealed-beam headlights and the tail lights. It has a
nice, clean wedge that's just timeless.

2. Ergonomics- Hardly a top concern 20+ years ago, I find that I
never have to move my hands too far to operate controls. I love that.

3. A nearly care-free body- Just 2 weeks ago, on vacation my uncle
looked at my dad and said "Imagine just having to run a scotch-brite
pad over the body once a month." Too bad they weren't in business
long enough to come out with a variety of dealer-installed
applique's. A lot of people like to "personalize" their car. I think
it would have gone over well.

4. Rust-proof'd frame- This one's debatable. The epoxy isn't that
great but DeLorean did it when not many others were. It seems to me
that the crumple tube is the worst protected part. The rest of my,
and other frames I've seen are in pretty good shape.

5. Crash-resistance- Judging from the last few people's posts, the
car does well in side impacts. Good, but I get the impression that
head-on's aren't as good. Even so, I feel pretty safe.

6. Doors- Duh! The torsion bars made it feasible, but no other
manufacturer has bothered! They're cool and they're practical. People
can't believe how close I can park to the wall in the garage here at
work.

Unfortunately, I think the engine choice is the least impressive,
least "forward-thinking" part of the car. I agree that it's extremely
hard-wearing (once it's cleaned up and tuned) and I'm not swapping
mine out but...  All due to cost-overruns I'll bet. Oh well.

I don't deny the car had/has it's problems. I'm just pointing out how
advanced the car was -overall for the time-. Hell, the fact that most
of the car's engineering flaws have been corrected by
owner/tinkerer's (Zilla products anyone? Toby Tabs?) speaks to the
fact that it was pretty decent off the assembly line.

Too bad that ERM process wasn't ready for production. It would have
enabled the car to make more of that 137 hp.

Rich A.

click here