Re: [DMCForum] Then & Now

Rich A. wrote:

> 1. Body style- While it doesn't have that curved, "organic" look to
> it, I consider the body style to be up-to-date with the possible
> exception of the sealed-beam headlights and the tail lights. It has a
> nice, clean wedge that's just timeless.

I agree. For a while, it looked like cars were evolving into bubbles
like those things out of Logan's Run, or the jellybeans from The Jetsons
(the bean-shaped Taurus reminded me of those).

> 2. Ergonomics- Hardly a top concern 20+ years ago, I find that I
> never have to move my hands too far to operate controls. I love that.

And in the great cars, the controls are easily memorized and you don't
have to take your eyes off the road! Compare that with a touch-screen
with menus - disaster waiting to happen.

> 5. Crash-resistance- Judging from the last few people's posts, the
> car does well in side impacts. Good, but I get the impression that
> head-on's aren't as good. Even so, I feel pretty safe.

There's an article in the New Yorker this month about how SUVs are
often purchased many times by people who will admit they are bad
drivers so they want a "safe" car - i.e. one that will keep them
unhurt if they're in a collision. They don't necessarily need to haul
things in an air-conditioned unit. But despite the soccer-mom
prevalency of suburban SUV sales, the minivan stigma has yet to stick
to the SUV.

> 6. Doors- Duh! The torsion bars made it feasible, but no other
> manufacturer has bothered! They're cool and they're practical. People
> can't believe how close I can park to the wall in the garage here at
> work.

And with gullwing doors coming back into fashion, it's easy to say that
John DeLorean knew what people wanted. Happy birthday, John.

I think we all appreciate, in one way or another, that the DeLorean is a
great affordable vehicle for those who appreciate it. Maybe it's best in
the long run that it wasn't mass-produced, because it would have been
dumbed down like today's vehicles, and then where would we be?

Farrar "Budget D" Hudkins

click here