Re: [DMCForum] Re: You're both wrong! Attn: Rick/Martin

Re: [DMCForum] Re: You're both wrong! Attn: Rick/Martin

Simple answer. You can sit on a chair and not exert any energy. However
you are applying a force onto the chair (actually the chair is applying
a force upwards that is equal and opposite to the accelleration due to
gavity pulling you down - but that's beside the point).

You on that chair indeed have potential energy which will be transferred
to kinetic energy if one of the legs snaps.

You compress a spring, you have te same effect. You've transferred
energy into the spring which can be released at any time. BUT you cannot
remove that energy in any way. Energy cannot be created or destroyed.

Make sense?

Martin

cruznmd wrote:

>I can not believe I am allowing myself to be pulled into this
>nonsense but I have a question. I am NOT arguing, I only seek
>enlightenment.
>
>Rick you stated that if you hold a torque wrench at 20 ft/lbs. for an
>eternity no work is being done as long as you don't turn the bolt.
>
>In order to hold the torque wrench to 20 ft/lbs. that requires the
>expenditure of energy. Is not the expenditure of energy by
>definition, work?
>
>Well, maybe not. Supposed you tied the handle to something to hold
>the wrench. Then no one & nothing is expending energy. There -is-
>however, "potential" energy in the tension of the wrench handle. If
>the rope snapped, and the wrench flew off that would be latent?
>energy (energy in use/motion) and work would be done because the
>wrench moved.
>
>Now I'm all screwed up. I knew this was a bad idea. Help?
>
>Rich A.

Click to learn more...