Re: [DMCForum] Re: Last Post For Martin

Never let it be said that I can't admit when I'm wrong. If Bill were to
explain it in terms such as these, I'll tip my hat, swallow my tongue
and say so.

twinenginedmc12 wrote:

>For every equation of power in a straight line, there is an
>equivalent for power in rotation, and they all differ by that "meter"
>that shows up in torque.

Can you qualify this? I'm rusty on much of this but energy is 1/2 x mv^2
whether rotational or in a strait line. I can't remember how to get
power as it relates to force in a strait line - can you help? My brain's
been a bit fried trying to get an engine running properly while this
discussion is going on! (it's fine now - I think the bob-weights have
got stuck in the dizzy. Customer won't like the labour required to clean
it out!)

>As an aside, I had a funny experience in a physics class, in which we
>were being introduced to torque.  The professor said that in English
>units, torque is expressed in poundfeet, and in metric, it's
>expressed in Newtonmeters, and since a Newton times a meter is a
>Joule, (not 9.8 Newtons times a meter, like in one of your prior
>posts, one of the few that was wrong)

I could never remember where things were definied in Newtons with
respect to accelleration due to gravity and where thay're expressed
wholly. Bit like Radians in that respect. Never could wrap my head
around using rads in formulae even though the principle is simple enough.

>, one could also express torque
>in Joules.  I said "No!" really loud and embarrassed myself and the
>professor quite thoroughly.  It was funny, even though most of the
>class didn't get it.

As an electronics wizz, you'll know this one then - when is it not
proper to express electric power transfer in Watts, but rather in
VoltAmps? I can't remember (!)

Martin

Click to learn more...