[DMCForum] ATTN: Jim Strickland -- "300 HP" Does *NOT* Mean "300 Horses
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[DMCForum] ATTN: Jim Strickland -- "300 HP" Does *NOT* Mean "300 Horses Coupled Together"



You've got the equation a bit backwards: HP = Torque x RPM /5252. I'm
not making "$hit" up -- that's how HP is calculated.

I think the problem is: you continue to labor under the mistaken
notion that HP somehow equates to a mythical number of horses coupled
together. Makes sense, I know, but that concept is totally wrong.
Think about it -- merely counting the number of horses coupled
together would tell you NOTHING about what kind of horses they are.
300 Clydesdales coupled together would be able to pull a lot more than
300 circus ponies coupled together, but in your vision both are "300
horsepower".

HP is basically a measure of TIME, expressed not in the rotation of
hands on a clock, but in rotations of an engine crankshaft. A high HP
engine is doing one of two things:
-Spinning slowly with a lot of torque in each revolution
-Spinning rapidly with very little torque in each revolution

Go back and read the history of HP calculation, courtesy of Mr. Watt.
He *NEVER* envisioned a team of horses coupled together. His whole
theory is based on one horse going in a circle turning a big wooden
gear. Horsepower measures revolutions of that gear (made by one horse,
hence the name).

The reason high torque engines are used to pull heavy loads is not a
simple matter of convenience. It's because a low torque engine simply
couldn't do it. At least not without Martin's mythical transmission
(which would render the vehicle totally impractical, I hasten to point
out). We're talking about real world applications, in which I have
*NEVER* seen a vehicle with a low torque engine pull anything bigger
than a little 2 wheel trailer with personal watercraft, but I *HAVE*
seen vehicles with low torque engines struggle to reach the top of a
long steep grade with NOTHING coupled to their rear.

BTW: Andrei himself quoted 350 HP for his Porsche in Message #10020.
If you don't like that number, complain to him, not to me.

Bill Robertson
#5939

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount@xxxx>
wrote:
> and torque doesn't exist without horsepower, what's your point?
>
> > A low rev'ing high torque engine will out pull a high rev'ing low
> > torque engine every time. Absolutley 100% guarantee it.
>
> how sweeping as usual.  What's low?  what's high?  what "pull"?
>
> The only reason that high torque engines are used vs low torque/high
> horsepower engines is because low RPM horsepower is more convenient than
> high RPM horsepower.  There is no difference in the "power", just how
> fast the engine has to turn when it's available. 
>
> Don't lecture about horsepower- it looks like you're making up $hit
> anyways. 
>
> Horsepower was defined when someone realized that an average horse could
> pull about 330 pounds one hundred feet in one minute out of a coal mine
> shaft, not turning a wheel or whatever else BS you're spreading. 
>
> Torque is nothing more than the measure of horsepower in relation to the
> RPM at which it was achieved.
>
>
>
>
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:04:20 -0000 "content22207"
> <brobertson@xxxx> writes:
> > Torque, torque, torque.
> >
> > Horsepower doesn't even exist without torque (it is one half of the
> > equation).
> >
> > A low rev'ing high torque engine will out pull a high rev'ing low
> > torque engine every time. Absolutley 100% guarantee it.
> >
> > Some buzzy little engines produce 100 lbs *OR LESS* of torque. Their
> > HP numbers are totally dependent on rev'ing the ever living mess out
> > of them. BUT ONCE YOU LOAD THEM DOWN (a trailer, a hill, etc) THEY
> > CAN'T REV UP! Are then as useless as nipples on a man.
> >
> > With all due respects, I'm not holding my breath for you and Martin
> > to
> > engineer a workable transmission to replace Mack tractors with Honda
> > Civics...
> >
> > Bill Robertson
> > #5939
> >
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand!
> Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
> Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!



Yahoo! Groups Links



Home Back to the Home of PROJECT VIXEN


Copyright 2006 ProjectVixen.com.  All rights reserved.

Opinions expressed in posts reflect the views of their respective authors.
DMCForum Mailing List Archive  DMCNews Mailing List Archive  DMC-UK Mailing List Archive