Re: [DMCForum] Re: Explaining Horsepower For Jim Strickland AGAIN

content22207 wrote:

>Torque, torque, torque.
>
>Horsepower doesn't even exist without torque (it is one half of the
>equation).
>
>A low rev'ing high torque engine will out pull a high rev'ing low
>torque engine every time. Absolutley 100% guarantee it.

I will bet you money here. GIVEN THE RIGHT GEARBOX - crunch down the
speed to usable torque. I know about this from Robot Wars. You can get
fantastically powerful motors that are extremely small - they get used
in electric model aeroplanes now. You can have a 2kW motor that weighs
less than 1kg, but you need 3kg of gearing to get the useful torque out
of it. The alternative is a 4kg 1200W motor that only needs one or two
stages of drive to be useful (remember electric motors put out max
torque when stalled - very useful in robot combat.

Martin

>Some buzzy little engines produce 100 lbs *OR LESS* of torque.

Torquwe is measured in ft.lbs or newton.metres (the latter is what all
my motor catalogues quote so I use it when playing robots)

Martin

click here