From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 8:37 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] New door struts

Hello everyone,

I have news for you. Good news, great news and not-so-good news. I'm going to reveal them in that order.

Good news:
The first test struts have arrived and I'm through some initial testing.

Great news:
The struts look great and they perform wonderfully! They are strong and lift the door effortlessly. The door moves 3/4 of the way up and then slows down to reach full open position gently. There's very little bounce at the top and I mean very little. I am very happy with their performance. The door works like I can imagine they were designed to work from the factory.

The not so good news:
The price I have given in my first post was really great but unfortunately a little too great. I'm sorry about that. I guess I'm better at engineering solutions than negotiations.
Black strut is going to be $35
Stainless strut is going to be $85

Shipping is, as always, free. Doesn’t matter where you are in the world, the price stays the same.

I have posted some pictures on the DMC Talk forum. If you’d like to see them please go here:

If you don’t have an account at DMC Talk you can view the pictures from my server. Below are direct links to the pictures.

Black strut:
There are some differences from the final production version.
1. The ends will be black to match the rest of the strut. The silver ends are just on the test struts.
2. The little indentations visible in the second picture will be replaced by an even pressed line all the way around the tube. This indentation is a stop for the piston and in my opinion looks much better as a continuous line.

Stainless steel strut:
This is how those struts are normally made. To avoid the long wait and a very high price of a single stainless strut I asked for an example piece. The strut in the pictures below is not the same dimensions as our door struts, just an example of what it will look like. I'm still talking with the manufacturer about the brushed finish to make sure we get it as close to the look of the external panels as possible.
http://delorean.neostrada.pl/strut/07.jpg

http://delorean.neostrada.pl/strut/10.jpg

I will be placing an order soon. If you would like me to remove your name from my list of pre-orders because of the price change please do let me know. I don't want to order too many struts. I'm not making enough on them to keep them in stock.
The lead time at the factory is about one month from the time I place the order. For stainless struts the lead time will be about 6 to 8 weeks but I'm still working on the brushed finish.

The struts will have small markings (serial number and my name) that will only be visible when the strut is not mounted on the car. When mounted the markings will be on the bottom and not visible.

Greetings from Poland!
Tom Niemczewski
Vin 6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 16473, 17086
Google earth: 52°25'17.66"N, 21° 1'58.40"E
www.deloreana.com

Posted by: "Ed Cohen" <rdcejc@xxxxxxxxxx>