Sent: Monday, April 14, 2014 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: [DML] New door struts - anyone interested?

Hi Tom, all other things being equal, the higher the pressure, the higher the leak rate, but you're suggesting that it's a given fact that higher force strut won't last as long as a lower force strut. I think that's an over-simplification with different seals, different tolerances, and all manner of changes being made depending on the strut in question. I'm no expert though.

Setting that aside for a second, the density and viscosity of the lubricating oil is many many times that of nitrogen and the leak rate will be reduced by a similar proportion if the oil surrounds the seal.

Martin

Sent from my BlackBerry®