You’re absolutely right. If you are to store your car and not drive it for a long time and you want your door struts to last as long as possible I would recommend removing them and storing them upright (piston/rod down) or at least leaving the door open. When you close the door and collapse the strut the internal pressure raises even more making it leak even faster.
The horizontal position of the strut is one reason why they don’t last very long but the major factor here is the internal pressure. At around 180 BAR or over 2600 PSI the nitrogen is trying really hard to get out. Most gas struts (hood, bonnet, hatch, etc.) use about 10% of that pressure and that is why they last a lot longer.
I would say that the internal pressure is actually 90% of the problem with the horizontal position being the remaining 10%.
Greetings from Poland!
Vin 6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 16473, 17086
Google earth: 52°25'17.66"N, 21° 1'58.40"E
Whatever you do, store them with the rods pointing down so the oil pools on the seal. If you check the use of gas struts on any other car, you'll see that this is true in the position in which they live for the majority of time (and should inform the fit of bonnet and louver struts too!).
The fact that door struts sit flat when the doors are closed is the single reason why delorean door struts don't last very long.
Sent from my BlackBerry®
To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com
To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews